精選 無核大紅山楂片 #3638
Sliced Hawthorn Fruit / Shan Zha #3638
Hawthorn is used for diseases of the heart and blood vessels such as congestive heart failure (CHF), chest pain, and irregular heartbeat. Some people use hawthorn for digestive system complaints such as indigestion, diarrhea, and stomach pain. (rxlist.com)
It is loaded with antioxidants; may have anti-inflammatory properties, lower blood pressure, decrease blood fats. Used to aid digestion. Helps prevent hair loss. May reduce anxiety. Used to treat heart failure. (healthline.com)
Hawthorn is used to treat both low blood pressure and high blood pressure, “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis), and high cholesterol. (webMD.com)
Hawthorn antioxidants include oligomeric procyandins (OPCs) and quercetin. Antioxidants destroy free radicals which occur naturally in the body and increase in number as we age. Free radicals damage cells and their DNA. Antioxidants in hawthorn defeat free radicals particularly those that lead to heart disease. Hawthorn berries are also a good source of triterpenic acid which lowers LDL cholesterol. Hawthorn syrup used as a sweetener alternative along with a heart healthy diet is a smart addition to the health conscience dieter. (thepracticalherbalist.com)
Caution: Hawthorn is counter-indicated for patients using beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, nitrate based medication or medication for male sexual function as it lowers blood pressure.
Hawthorn Syrup Recipe
- 1/2 cup Hawthorn berries (dried)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 2 oz brandy
- 1 Tbs cayenne tincture (ginger tincture may be substituted)
- Pour the hawthorn berries into the cook pot with the water and soak overnight. [Rinse and use fresh water for cooking.]
- Put the cook pot on the stove and cook on lowest setting, covered, for one hour.
- Remove cook pot from stove and allow to cool thoroughly.
- Mash hawthorn berries.
- Add brandy.
- Cover pot and return to stove on low and allow hawthorn to steep a minimum of 20 minutes or until water darkens.
- Place 2 layers of cheesecloth in the strainer.
- Pour hawthorn through the strainer and keep 1 1/2 cups of infused water/brandy for syrup.
- Add honey and infused water to make syrup.
- More honey may be added for a sweeter syrup.
- Stir cayenne tincture into to cooled product.
- Pour finished product into bottle and label clearly.
Storage and Use
Store Hawthorn Syrup in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Children under 12: Take 1 teaspoon of syrup no more than 4 times daily.
Adults: Take 1 tablespoon of syrup no more than 4 times daily.
Not intended for children under age 2.
The taste is sour, sweet, and it is lukewarm in effect. It enters the Spleen, Stomach and Liver meridians.
Effect: It helps with digestion and invigorates the stomach, promotes qi and dissipates blood stasis, reduces turbidity and reduces fat.
Indications: It has been used for stagnant circulation, stomach fullness, diarrhea, abdominal pain, blood stasis amenorrhea, postpartum stasis, heart and abdomen tingling, chest pain, hernia pain, hyperlipidemia. The effect of Jiaoshan Hawthorn on digestion and stagnation is enhanced.