PROP 65 WARNING: Consuming this product can expose you to chemicals including mercury, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/food.
Dried Australia Sea Cucumber #534
Australian Wushen sea cucumber is a prized seafood delicacy throughout south Asia, the Philippines, Japan, Australia, the Pacific, the Caribbean, France (beche de mer) and Portugal. The preparation takes several days of soaking and cooking and their nutritional value is exceptional. Sea Cucumber is often cooked in elaborate Chinese New Year soups.
Sea cucumbers are rich in protein, niacin, and riboflavin and contain substances that influence human health, including:
- Chondroitin sulfate (found in human cartilage)
- Coelomic fluid (which functions similarly to human white blood cells)
- Palmitic, stearic, and linoleic acid (fatty acids with potent antioxidant effects)
- Squalene (a compound that acts as the precursor to steroids)
- Triterpenoids (a class of compounds thought to slow cancer growth)
Alternative practitioners prevent and treat a wide range of health disorders with sea cucumber, including arthritis, cardiovascular disease, constipation, erectile dysfunction, periodontitis gum disease and certain types of cancers. Sea cucumber fights inflammation, promotes wound healing, and slows the aging process.
Cautions: Sea cucumber has blood thinning effects (It reduces harmful cholesterol) It should be avoided by persons who have shellfish allergies. Avoid it or use under the direction of a doctor during pregnancy and breastfeeding.